Saint Leopold: shop sign for St Leopold's pharmacy, Vienna. Oil painting by E. Nacht, 18--.
Saint Leopold was a member of the Babenberger family which ruled Austria before the Habsburgs. He founded the Augustinian abbey of Klosterneuburg north of Vienna, and other religious houses. The painting shows him wearing a crown and an ermine cloak and holding a model of Klosterneuburg. It served as the shop sign of the pharmacy of Saint Leopold in Vienna, Apotheke "Zum heiligen Leopold". In 1912 that pharmacy moved from the corner of Raimundgasse and Schiffamtsgasse to its present (2006) location, Untere Augartenstraße 13, where it has the current name Augarten Apotheke
Non-commercial use includes private study, academic research, teaching, and other activities that are not primarily intended for, or directed towards, commercial advantage or private monetary compensation. See the Legal Code for further information.
Image source should be attributed as specified in the full catalogue record. If no source is given the image should be attributed to Wellcome Library.